Saturday, August 7, 2010

Perfect Happiness

On a hot New York Saturday, sometimes your choices are this: 


Or this:


Which doesn't really leave much choice, does it, except getting on the subway and heading to the beach.




A hot, sunny low-humidity day, on the beach at Coney Island with my unread book on one side, a thawing bottle of water on the other, and four guys set up next to me with loud salsa music playing. They all have gourds and cowbells and other percussion of sunshiny music and they are jamming away.


Salsa -- perfect New York street music.



Coney Island -- perfect New York place.

I look around me and everyone is moving their shoulders, their feet, their heads, their fingers, in time to the music, then I look over at the guys and they flash their perfect white smiles at me while nodding along to the music, never missing a beat -- perfect New York moment.

I do believe this could fall under the category of "Perfect Happiness."




Portland was nice, but like most of my infatuations, short-lived and in retrospect, really, well, white. Give me New York City's cafe-au-lait complexion any day.

4 comments:

Paula said...

I love when simple things can make me happy because they really are the best. Just good weather, good music and a cold drink. Nice.

Don said...

I know what you mean, Portland is a bit that, even for me, indeed it took me years to get used to the suburb I raised my kids in. Like they say, you can take the boy out of the city, but you can't take the city out of the boy. Question: Did anyone that afternoon actually get up and dance?

JD said...

Well, only the guys with the gourds were dancing, and the little kids. I love how the little city kids can salsa as well as grown-ups. They are so cute. How I wish I had grown up in a culture where everyone dances all the time!

Yes, a day of simple pleasures, only I wish I had remembered the simple pleasure of sunscreen, because I am now pink lak ze shrimp.

JD said...

And to finish off this perfect Saturday: hooray for the "potato-potato" rumble of a chopped Harley with 14" apehangers pulling up in front of my building, and hooray for passing several blissful (though sunburnt) hours with a shave-headed, tatted, goateed 6-4 dude who doesn't have a way with words but does have many other useful skills. I'll take the useful skills any day.

Any fool with a computer can write pretty fantasies, but in the end I have more respect for the guy who simply texts, "See you in an hour."